Thank you so much Matt! It works perfectly. This R-code saves lot of my of my time. I appreciate you help.

Zia

Matt Beard wrote:
Zia,

Does this work?
Set your working directory and your output filename.

library(rgdal)
library(maptools)
setwd("C:/test") # CHANGE THIS
combinedShp <- "C:/test/combined.shp"           # CHANGE THIS

# obtain shapefiles in current directory
files <- list.files(pattern = "shp")
uid <- 1

# get polygons from first file
poly.data <- readOGR(files[1], gsub(".shp","",files[1]))
n <- length(slot(poly.data, "polygons"))
poly.data <- spChFIDs(poly.data, as.character(uid:(uid+n-1)))
uid <- uid + n

# add polygons from remaining files
for (i in 2:length(files)) {
   temp.data <- readOGR(files[i], gsub(".shp","",files[i]))
   n <- length(slot(temp.data, "polygons"))
   temp.data <- spChFIDs(temp.data, as.character(uid:(uid+n-1)))
   uid <- uid + n
   poly.data <- spRbind(poly.data,temp.data)
}

writeOGR(poly.data, dsn=combinedShp, layer="combined", driver="ESRI Shapefile")

Matt Beard
Purdue University