Hi All,

I want to kirg fish and seabird densities within an estuary which has several
arms. Since neither organisms cross land, the appropriate distances would not
be euclidian but over-water (as fish swim). There are several papers,
describing this problem and how to deal with it (see below), but I have not
found an easily accessible implementation. Is anybody aware of a solution in R?

Best,
Martin

@article{Rathbun:1998aa,
        Author = {Rathbun, Stephen L.},
        Journal = {Environmetrics},
        Number = {2},
        Pages = {109--129},
        Title = {Spatial modelling in irregularly shaped regions: kriging
estuaries},
        Volume = {9},
        Year = {1998}}

@article{Little:1997aa,
        Author = {Little, Laurie S. and Edwards, Don and Porter, Dwayne E.},
        Journal = {Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology},
        Number = {1},
        Pages = {1--11},
        Title = {Kriging in estuaries: as the crow flies, or as the fish
swims?},
        Volume = {213},
        Year = {1997}}

Martin Renner