I need to smooth a collection of annual NDVI time-series data for a fairly
large image. Right now I am using an interruptive method that compares the
difference between each point and the mean of its two neighbors. This process
repeats until a threshold is reached. It works well, but it takes a long time.
When I process the image without smoothing the data it takes about 2 hours –
with the smoothing it looks like it will take up to 7 days.

The method needs to elevate troughs in the data but retain the peaks – I assume
that any troughs are really cloud contamination and that the peaks are accurate
NDVI values. Does anyone know of such a smoother that isn't so time consuming?

Jonathan B. Thayn, Ph.D.
Illinois State University
Department of Geography - Geology
200A Felmley Hall