On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, Servet Ahmet Cizmeli wrote:

Hello all,

I am about to perform a GWR analysis using measurements collected at sea
onboard a ship. Some of the stations are located at opposite sides of an
island or within adjacent bays... Measuring bird's flight distances between
the stations do not make sense at all those cases.

Is there any way to presently instruct the R's implementation of GWR that
the distances are to be measured along sea-ways? This would probably
necessitate the concurrent input of a land mask (or polygon).

As I presume the answer of the above question is NO (no mention of it
anywhere in the GWR documentation), I would like to know how difficult
would it be to add that functionality for a r-novice like me.

Look at the fish swims thread on this list recently:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2010-January/007472.html

You'll see that several participants suggested using MDS to convert the non-Euclidic distance matrix to a 2-column coordinate matrix "representing" the relative position of the observations. You could use those with GWR, I think. It wouldn't be exact, but at least closer to your reality than bird flies.

Roger

thanks
Servet

Roger Bivand