Hello all,

Further to the message below, which you may have received, a workshop on
mapping in R with rworldmap is now definitely going ahead in Bristol ,
UK  on March 8-9th (< 3 weeks time)

This is part of QUEST (Quantifying and Understanding the Earth System)
http://quest.bris.ac.uk.

It's a workshop so it will be about working rather than listening.
Day 1 (afternoon from ~12) : what can rworldmap & R do with world data ?
Day 2 (morning to ~1) : starting to get rworldmap to do new things.

The workshop will be held in the Bristol Marriott Royal, a lovely
centrally located hotel. http://www.marriott.com/BRSRY

Twenty places, get applications in by e-mail to andy.so...@cefas.co.uk
by 5 pm this Friday February 19th. If you are not able to commit by that
date, let me know and I'll put you on the waiting list, no guarantees -
it works both ways!

For QUEST funded people/work we will pay accomodation & reasonable
travel expenses.

For non QUEST people who can contribute to the workshop we will fund
accomodation, but you will have to pay your own travel. (if you can
really, really contribute we might even be able to pay travel!).

On acceptance I'll ask you all to send a cheque for 20GBP payable to the
Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel as a deposit, I'll return this to you
uncashed on your arrival. (I'll need this by February 26th at :  Andy
South, Cefas, Pakefield Rd., Lowestoft, NR33 OHT).

For now just return this e-mail to me by 5 pm this Friday February 19th
with the questions below answered :

March 8 lunch : Y/N
March 8 afternoon : Y/N
March 8 dinner : Y/N
March 8 room : Y/N
March 9 morning : Y/N
March 9 lunch : Y/N
Can I use R ? : Y/N
Can I use rworldmap ? :Y/N

If you have any questions just get in touch,

Thanks & looking forward to it,

Andy & Pru

Andy South : andy.so...@cefas.co.uk
Pru Foster :  pru.fos...@bris.ac.uk

Dear All,

QUEST will be running a workshop on 'rworldmap', R data visualisation
and mapping in Bristol on March 8-9th.
The focus will be on using the statistical computing language R to plot
QUEST (your) data, whilst learning about what can be done currently and
developing new functionality. The package, rworldmap, endeavors to make
it easy to access, visualize and analyze QUEST and other global
databases.  Since R is freeware and easy to install it makes for an
ideal way for students to access data.  Easy to follow documentation can
be viewed or downloaded at:

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/rworldmap/index.html

Attendees will be expected to have R installed and be able to operate at
least a few basic commands. The FAQs for downloading and running R are
attached. For those who already have R, to install rworldmap from R,
including other required packages:
install.packages('rworldmap',dependencies=TRUE

The plan is for the workshop to run from lunchtime to lunchtime to allow
far-flung attendees to get there & away. Please submit an expression of
interest to Andy South by February 13th, with 2-3 sentences about your
experience and what you would like to do/learn.

Please could you also indicate whether your attendance is one of  :
Definite
Probable
Maybe

We will then send out a more detailed plan over the next few weeks.

Many thanks and look forward to seeing you there,