On Mon, 1 Mar 2010, Jonathan Greenberg wrote:

As far as sample code goes, simply getting
grass_to_raster=raster("somegrassfile") is my goal -- my understanding
is anything rgdal can read, raster can read.  Running your command I
do get:

GRASS (ro): GRASS Database Rasters (5.7+)

But with rgdal:

require(rgdal)
gdaldrivers=getGDALDriverNames()
gdaldrivers$create[gdaldrivers$name=="GRASS"]
[1] FALSE
gdaldrivers$copy[gdaldrivers$name=="GRASS"]
[1] FALSE
gdaldrivers$create[gdaldrivers$name=="GTiff"]
[1] TRUE
gdaldrivers$copy[gdaldrivers$name=="GTiff"]
[1] TRUE

Am I perhaps missing an rgdal installation flag that is required to
enable GRASS rasters?

Unless rgdal was built against and is seeing a different GDAL, there is no good reason. gdalDrivers() will list all the drivers that the GDAL rgdal is using sees. However, beware of the plugin, which is notorious for refering to stale GRASS binaries, and for its choice of exporting the whole raster with its original resolution, which most often is not the same as the output of g.region.

To mimic raster, you would use g.region to set the tile size and shape before using readRAST6() with a temporary file. This could be automated too, I think.

Hope this helps,

Roger

--j

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 6:04 PM, Dylan Beaudette