Thanks, Roger,

  I Downloaded  binaries from Kyngchaos for the package and followed the
instructions
in his readme.

After a fresh restart of R ( to get sp loaded at the user level ) the rgdal
package loaded just fine.

Question? why do folks suggest loading extra packages at the user level.
just curious.

I'm really looking forward to working with the package. Thanks ever so much.

Steve

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 1:16 AM, Roger Bivand <roger.biv...@nhh.no> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 May 2010, steven mosher wrote:
>
>  On Cran it indicates that the package is not available on MAC (OSX 10.5.8)
>> Is that the whole story?
>> Is it a situation that will change or am I missing something. I've left a
>> similar Q on the Mac Sig, but havent  got any feedback
>>

> It is always possible to use the instructions on the CRAN page under
> SystemRequirements: - that is install the external dependencies, for example
> using Kyngchaos' frameworks, and install from source, or from an OSX binary
> rgdal package at the same site. This probably gives a larger set of drivers.
>
> For those who prefer a Leopard-style binary with the same minimal set of
> drivers that we have on CRAN for Win32 and Win64: I can with pleasure thank
> Brian Ripley for making both 32-bit and 64-bit Intel versions available on
> CRAN extras - on OSX use:
>

>  setRepositories(ind=1:2)
>> install.packages('rgdal')
>>

> Please report back on whether this advice was helpful.
>
> Roger

> --
> Roger Bivand
> Economic Geography Section, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of
> Economics and Business Administration, Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen,
> Norway. voice: +47 55 95 93 55; fax +47 55 95 95 43
> e-mail: roger.biv...@nhh.no

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]