Dear Dr. Hijmans,
  Thank you very much for the advice. According to the poor results I received
from interpolating gauge data, your approach really seems to be more promising.
  I'm trying to perform the sattelite data interpolation as you suggested.
However, I'm facing an error. My satellite data consists of thousands of raw
binary hourly files which I converted to netcdf monthly values and loaded into
a variable:
>summary(cmorph)           Length Class  Mode   lonncfile    126  -none-
>numericlatncfile     98  -none- numericdatancfile 12348  -none- numeric
  The 'cmorph' variable contains rainfall estimates to the southern most
Brazilian state for january 2009. Everything goes fine when I create the raster
object and extract the coordinates. The 'gauge' variable contains lon, lat and
rainfall station values for the same january 2009:
> r<-raster(cmorph$datancfile)> res<-xyValues(r,gauge[,1:2],method='bilinear')
  However, when trying to plot:
> plot(res,gauge[,3])Error in plot.window(...) : need finite 'xlim' valuesIn
> addition: Warning messages:1: In min(x) : no non-missing arguments to min;
> returning Inf2: In max(x) : no non-missing arguments to max; returning -Inf
  This error is certainly caused by the contents of 'res' variable:
> res  [1] NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
> NA NA [26] NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
> NA NA NA [51] NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
> NA NA NA NA [76] NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
> NA NA NA NA NA[101] NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
> NA NA NA NA NA NA[126] NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
> NA    Could you figure out what I'm doing wrong??
  Best regards,
  Thiago Veloso.