Danlin and Roger,
thanks for the answers.
My intention was to use a fixed bandwidth , but as you told, I probably have
a too small bandwidth since most of my sum of weigths are 1.  I thought that
by using a bandwidth of 20, it would mean 20 degrees.
I'm also going to try fitting the model with a small subset and then
applying it to the rest of my data. I tried fitting the model with SAM and
ARCGIS and both crash because of memory so I might have memory problems as
you told.
About using adaptative kernel, I also think it would be best for the
regression to use since island density changes in space ,but I'm afraid that
this might not give the answer that I want, because a maximum distance to
other islands has a different meaning for number of species (my dependent
variable) than a maximum number of islands. Also I will correct the
latitude-longitude error

Thanks for your time,
Jorge