Thanks Robert, I still haven't explored raster enough.

I tried as.matrix(projras) - have you considered adding methods like
this? I'm afraid I still don't know the structure of the raster data
sets enough to know if that makes sense, but I think sp returns
another orientation in this way:

 as.matrix(spprojras)

Cheers, Mike.