This is a small somewhat related note we ran into last week: RStudio had
some issues with Mavericks as well (for this of you using this IDE).  There
was a post about it:
http://support.rstudio.org/help/kb/advanced/using-rstudio-with-mac-os-x-109-mavericksand,
at the time of this posting, requires you update to their preview
version.

--j

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 5:17 AM, peter dalgaard <pda...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 31 Oct 2013, at 23:19 , Prof Brian Ripley <rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > On 31/10/2013 14:57, peter dalgaard wrote:
> >> Thanks Brian.
> >>
> >> One more item: If building from SVN, you may need to run "svn upgrade"
> in the source directory (at top level).
> >>
> >> I suppose that's a consequence of upgrading Xcode rather than Mavericks
> per se, but might as well mention it here.
> >
> > Yes.  A quick poll of systems I have access to has svn 1.6.x on 10.7,
> 1.7.x on 10.8 and 10.9.  As AFAICS it is part of Xcode, it depends on the
> version you had installed and I believe those machines were all fully
> updated.
>
> At any rate, "svn up" tells you what to do, the only slight confusion is
> that make claims that your source directory is not an svn checkout until
> you have upgraded it.
>
> One further issue is that gnutar seems to have gone AWOL. We have, in the
> CRAN binary,
>

> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/etc/Renviron:TAR=${TAR-'/usr/bin/gnutar'}
>
> so this affects R CMD INSTALL --build. I suppose people might discover
> this when a teaching package has gotten archived at CRAN. (A colleague
> bumped into it with languageR.) Looks like the obvious workaround does work
> around it:
>
> TAR=/usr/bin/tar R CMD etc.
>

> >> Do we have any authoritative advice as to what should go into
> config.site? Mine seems to work unchanged, but I'm not sure I have a clue
> about what they are doing anymore.
> >
> > I have
> >
> > % cat config.site
> > CC="clang -mtune=native"
> > OBJC=$CC
> > F77="gfortran-4.2 -arch x86_64 -mtune=native"
> > FC=$F77
> > CXX="clang++ -mtune=native"
> > CFLAGS="-g -O2 -Wall -pedantic -Wconversion -Wno-sign-conversion"
> >
> > Those are rather picky C flags, of course: intended to pick up issues
> with long vectors.
> >
> > gcc/g++ are not the same as clang/clang++, although the only differences
> I have detected are what they report themselves as.  As I don't know if
> there are any material differences I chose to use clang explicitly.
> Similarly calling gfortran-4.2 explicitly to avoid any other versions (and
> I would even consider using /usr/local/bin/gfortran-4.2).
> >
> >> -pd

> with the CRAN binary R, you will need to

> links which tell you to install XQuartz (even if it is currently installed).

> the rJava examples and you will be prompted for an install.

> moved most things inside Xcode (specifically under
> /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer) and the command-line tools
> previously installed seemed almost to work, but not entirely.

> as llvm-g++-4.2) should still work.  Otherwise you could select clang as
> your compiler: see
> http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-admin.html#OS-X-packages.
> [...]

Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
Assistant Professor
Global Environmental Analysis and Remote Sensing (GEARS) Laboratory
Department of Geography and Geographic Information Science
259 Computing Applications Building, MC-150
605 East Springfield Avenue
Champaign, IL  61820-6371
Phone: 217-300-1924
http://www.geog.illinois.edu/~jgrn/