On 13/10/2015 3:03 PM, Fox, John wrote:
> Dear r-sig-mac list members,
>
> I can reliably crash R.app in R 3.2.2 under El Capitan with
>
>   library(rgl)
>   demo("rgl")  # a few returns
>
> My session info:
>
>> sessionInfo()
> R version 3.2.2 (2015-08-14)
> Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0 (64-bit)
> Running under: OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
>
> locale:
> [1] en_CA.UTF-8/en_CA.UTF-8/en_CA.UTF-8/C/en_CA.UTF-8/en_CA.UTF-8
>
> attached base packages:
>
> other attached packages:
> [1] rgl_0.95.1367
>
> I see this problem only in R.app, not when R is run in a terminal or in
> RStudio.
>
> This problem was original brought to my attention by Jose Conde (to whom I'm
> cc'ing this message), who encountered the problem using the scatter3d()
> function in the car package via the Rcmdr, but the problem isn't unique to
> either scatter3d() or the Rcmdr. In the case of scatter3d() the command
>
>     scatter3d(prestige ~ income + education, data=Prestige)
>
> which draws a regression surface, reliably crashes R.app, but
>
>     scatter3d(prestige ~ income + education, data=Prestige, surface=FALSE)
>
> which plots only points (as spheres) doesn't.
>
> I hope that this provides enough clues to diagnose the problem.

I don't have El Capitan, I'm still running under OS X 10.9.5
(Mavericks), and it doesn't crash.

Since you're using the latest rgl, you must have built it yourself --
CRAN doesn't distribute binaries for it (at least for Mavericks).  Did
you get any errors or warnings during compilation?

Duncan Murdoch