On a machine running the binary install version of R on OSX, the Mac OSX FAQ
regarding this issue is at:

file:///Applications/R.app/Contents/Resources/RMacOSX-FAQ.html#History

The default location for history files accrued while in R.app is .Rapp.history
stored in the Starup directory.

And you are told: "Note that the functions loadhistory(), savehistory() and
hence history() are not currently supported in R.app."

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA