> On 21 Apr 2016, at 19:15, David Winsemius <dwinsem...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> 18 months ago I volunteered to fix a very tiny error in the documentation in
> the abandoned package, muhaz, so I am now the maintainer. I'm trying to be a
> responsible maintainer and test my package with R 3.3.0 in advance of its
> release. (I hope the fact that I have not gotten any email notices from CRAN
> about failed installation attempts means that all is well with my package
> under the R 3.3.0 and CRAN's current build machine.)
>
> Since then I have migrated to El Capitan (which I believe is not yet the
> current build OS for OSX branches of R).  I was trying to be a responsible
> maintainer and test my package with R 3.3.0 in advance of its release.  I was
> getting an error when building from source that my googling efforts suggested
> is due to incompatibility between El Cap and earlier versions of Fortran. I
> do not usually get errors with source packages because I have attempted in my
> halting manner to keep an up-to-date toolchain: XCode,
> Command_Line_Tools_OS_X_10.11_for_Xcode_7.3 and up until now
> gfortran-4.8.2-darwin13 from the r.att.research.com site.
>
> * installing to library
> ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.3/Resources/library’
> * installing *source* package ‘muhaz’ ...
> ** package ‘muhaz’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> ** libs
> gfortran-4.8   -fPIC  -g -O2  -c muhaz.f -o muhaz.o
> gfortran-4.8: warning: couldn’t understand kern.osversion ‘15.4.0
> f951: internal compiler error: Illegal instruction: 4

Are you compiling on a computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo?
I had  that problem too.

See here https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2014-May/010894.html
and Simon's reply.

I now have a computer with an i5 processor; the gfortran 4.8.2 from
r.att.research.com works without that message.

> The GNU Fortran Project mailing list has several contributions from
> François-Xavier Coudert who suggests that El Cap users install Fortran from a
> disk image installer that he makes available:
>
> http://coudert.name/software.html
>
> gfortran 5.2 for Yosemite:
> http://coudert.name/software/gfortran-5.2-Yosemite.dmg  , which I downloaded.
> .... noting that the author says "works well with El Capitan"
>
> I've also found several other versions of gfortran at:
>
> http://hpc.sourceforge.net/index.php
>
> ... where versions 5.1, 5.3,and 6.0 are listed as appropriate for El Capitan.
>
> It wasn't clear to me whether I needed to have matching sets of gcc and
> gfortran if I used these, but it appeared to me from the material I read in
> the R Install/Admin Guide that I would not need to add that additional
> complexity.
>
> I wondered:
> 1) If I install this version of Fortran, what are my odds of failing to fix
> my problem and also crippling my capacity for compiling packages from source
> that were compiled and tested on Fortran 4.8.2. (I've decided to take the
> risk.)
>
> 2) If I succeed with this for compiling muhaz, then will I later need to
> revert and what will I need to do to revert if needed.

In this thread https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2015-October/011641.html
Brian Ripley in reply to my query said that Coudert's gfortran could be used.

Berend