On Thu, 8 Jun 2017, Simon Urbanek wrote:

Charles,

Including another SDK's includes manually won't work, because you can't mix SDKs - and you shouldn't need to do that.

If in doubt, run sudo xcode-select --install which will install any missing tools - you still do need regular Xcode installation in addition to the clang+fortran compilers. You shouldn't need to touch CPPFLAGS - if you do, something is broken in your system.

Simon,

Thanks for the reply. As of yesterday, everything seemed to be working OK without any ~/.R/MakeVars file. viz, I can compile packages using the binary you provide for R-3.4.0. Also, I can configure, make, and make check R-devel using the clang4 you provide.

I can't say what is different now from before. I just updated pcre and added pkg-config, java JDK, and cairo. I recently re-installed command line tools, but I have had these `forever'.

Anyway, all is now well.

Thanks,

Chuck

[snip]

TL;DR: I can compile C/Fortran to install packages that need
compilation, but I get loads of warnings.  I must have quirks in my
setup, possibly including the need to add system header files
compatible with clang4.

[snip]