Hi David,

Thank you for the ideas.

> ?data.frame
starting httpd help server ... done
> getOption("help_type")
[1] "html"
> tools:::startDynamicHelp(start = TRUE)
Error in tools:::startDynamicHelp(start = TRUE) : server already running

So I tried to shut it down and then restarted it.

> tools:::startDynamicHelp(start = FALSE)
> tools:::startDynamicHelp(start = TRUE)
starting httpd help server ... done
> ?data.frame

The help viewer content is still blank.

I have no startup file and no .Rhistory or Rdata files in my home directory
which is assigned as R.app's inital working directory (Preferences > Startup >
Directory ["Always apply" = yes])  I created an empty directory '~/foo' and
assigned that as the initial working directory.  The behavior is the same as
for my home directory.

Ben