Hi Ben,

Ok, thanks for that clarification. That fundamentally alters my view of the
issue.

For verification, can you start R in a terminal and then type:

  options(help_type = "html")

after which, then try help for some function (e.g. ?plot) and see what happens.

Thanks,

Marc

> On Oct 18, 2018, at 5:45 PM, Ben Tupper <btup...@bigelow.org> wrote:
>
> You are correct that it only comes up in the text pager when I invoke R from
> the terminal (with or without --vanilla).
>
> RStudio help works as expected in the sense that help content is rendered
> within the RStudio panes on the "Help" tab - just as you surmised.
>
> Cheers (really!),
> Ben
>
>> On Oct 18, 2018, at 5:32 PM, Marc Schwartz <marc_schwa...@me.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ben,
>>
>> A question, because as I go back and re-read both this thread and the prior
>> one you posted on this issue, I have been presuming that when you run R from
>> the terminal, you can successfully get help to open in an external browser.
>>
>> However, given my re-read and what you now post below, I am wondering if, in
>> fact, when running R in the terminal, you simply get the help displaying in
>> the text pager.
>>
>> I don't use RStudio, so not sure if help comes up in their own internal
>> browser, or if it comes up in an external browser. Albeit, looking at their
>> website, it appears to be an internal browser that stays within the IDE, in
>> contrast to R.app opening the internal browser in an external window.
>>
>> Can you confirm that when you run R from the terminal, does help appear
>> within the terminal window in the pager, or does it come up in whatever
>> external browser you are using, which I am guessing is Firefox based upon
>> the output below.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Marc
>>

>>> On Oct 18, 2018, at 5:09 PM, Ben Tupper <btup...@bigelow.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> In a fresh R.app session

>>> starting httpd help server ... done
>>> debugging in: browser(if (encodeIfNeeded) URLencode(url) else url)
>>> debug: {
>>>   x <- gsub("http://127.0.0.1";, "http://localhost";, x, fixed = TRUE)
>>>   .Call("aqua.custom.print", "help-files", x)
>>>   invisible(x)
>>> }
>>> Browse[2]> n
>>> debug: x <- gsub("http://127.0.0.1";, "http://localhost";, x, fixed = TRUE)
>>> Browse[2]> n
>>> debug: .Call("aqua.custom.print", "help-files", x)