On 17/02/2021 10:13 p.m., Peter West wrote:
And speaking of M1 Silicon:

My XQuartz version is 2.7.11.

Started R 4.0.4.
Stopped R 4.0.4
Started RStudio

install.packages("rgl")
trying URL 'https://cran.rstudio.com/bin/macosx/contrib/4.0/rgl_0.105.13.tgz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 6446159 bytes (6.1 MB)
downloaded 6.1 MB

The downloaded binary packages are in

/var/folders/jf/mkyz74311796dl4mxx_7tcx80000gn/T//RtmpflD1wL/downloaded_packages
library(rgl)

RStudio hangs indefinitely.

My RStudio is at 1.4.1103.

That looks a lot like the issue Rich had last week (which I think is unrelated to the one posted today). Have you tried the solution I posted for that? Here's a copy:

This worked for me to apparently fix my system:

Start with a newly rebooted system.

Uninstall XQuartz by dragging it to the trash.

Look in /Library/LaunchAgents/ for filenames related to xquartz. I had two: a five year old one called org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist, and one from around the time I installed the XQuartz beta named org.xquartz.startx.plist. I deleted the latter.

Look in /Library/LaunchDaemons/ for similar files. I deleted one with the same name, i.e. org.xquartz.startx.plist, and left an older one.

Reboot the system again, and install XQuartz 2.7.11. Relogin, and things seem fine.

I suspect it would be sufficient to just delete the /Library/LaunchAgents/org.xquartz.startx.plist and /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.xquartz.startx.plist files and reboot, but I haven't tried that.

Duncan Murdoch