Thanks, Simon,

On Nov 3, 2006, at 5:25 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> No, my message was saying two things:
> 1) you don't need to go through all this at all - just get the
> binary, i.e. run
> install.packages("RMySQL")
> if that doesn't work with your mirror (because it's not in sync
> yet), use
> install.packages("RMySQL",,"http://r.research.att.com/";)
> Before my post the binary was not available due to a problem on my
> build machine, but the source was available and working.

Up and running! Firstly, I've installed the required DBI library...

 >install.packages("DBI",,"http://r.research.att.com/";) #works
 >install.packages("DBI") #it doesn't

Then, RMySQL...

 >install.packages("RMySQL",,"http://r.research.att.com/";) #works

The installation processes warn about a HTML package index not being
created...

Warning message:
cannot create HTML package index in: make.packages.html()

Several sources read that this is just a benign bug, so I will forget
about it so far.

> 2) if you insist on building RMySQL from sources, make sure the
> PKG_xx flags are set correctly (see the reference I gave), you have
> installed gcc 4.0.3 that comes with R and the latest Xcode tools.
>
> Cheers,
> Simon

I am afraid I'd chosen the harder path not by intent, but by lack of
skills! I will try to clarify myself with regards to building R
libraries from scratch and come back to this issue when needed.

I am pretty sure this link to MySQL will ease our transition to R!

Thank you very much for your help,

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your EPEC ICT Team