Hi Simon,
Thank you for your hack! I am using the Aquamacs (0.9.9d) of GNU
Emacs 22.0.50.1. I just tried the hack and I can use it, but I get
the following messages:

 > quartz(height=6, width=6)
Warning message:
quartz() device interactivity reduced without an event loop manager
in: quartz(height = 6, width = 6)
 > plot(rn)
CGGStackRestore: gstack underflow.

Nor can I copy-paste, or save directly from the quartz window.
identify works with Command-ESC to terminate.

Are these all expected behaviors?

Thanks,
Hank

On Jan 22, 2007, at 7:37 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2007, at 5:58 PM, Emmanuel Sharef wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> When plotting from R in the command line (run in the Terminal, not as
>> R.app), it behaves oddly.
>>
>> If I simply type a command to plot something (e.g. hist(rnorm
>> (1000))  ), nothing happens.
>> If I type quartz(), an empty quartz window opens, but the mouse
>> cursor always turns into a spinning beachball when passing over it. I
>> can plot to this window, but I cannot move or close it, because of
>> the beach ball. Calling the quartz.save() function referenced in the
>> R Mac FAQ returns 'Error: could not find function "quartz.save"'.
>>
>> Everything works fine inside R.app though. Running R in an X11 xterm
>> works fine too, but quartz graphics are nicer. Is there a way to fix
>> the problem with getting quartz graphics from the terminal?
>>

> Quartz was designed to work with R.app. As R warns you, Quartz
> doesn't interact with you if there is no event loop running and in
> Terminal on ESS there is none. However, I have just put together a
> hack that will help a bit - install and load CarbonEL:
> install.packages("CarbonEL",,"http://rforge.net/";)
> library(CarbonEL)
>
> As soon as you load CarbonEL, Quartz becomes usable, because the
> package installs a Carbon event loop which can driver Quartz. In
> R.app this is not needed, because R.app provides its own event loop.
>
> Cheers,
> Simon

Dr. Hank Stevens, Assistant Professor
338 Pearson Hall