Dear all,

I have been looking for solutions for my problem on installing x86_64 R under
my home directory

on Mac OS X for a couple days.

It seems to me that the best described answer is on
http://r.research.att.com/building.html

I followed pretty much every step on the page, and I do get R installed in my
home directory, but it is a i386 version, not a x86_64.

Here are what I have for installation.

## User privilege:

Normal user with root privilege…

## System:

Mac OS X/Leopard 10.5.6/Intel Xeon/ X code (latest ver.) installed

## Source codes:

“R-2.8.1.tar.gz”, downloaded from
http://cran.fhcrc.org/src/base/R-2/R-2.8.1.tar.gz

## my configure:

$./configure –prefix=$HOME r_arch=x86_64 \

CC="gcc -arch x86_64 -std=gnu99" \

CXX="g++ -arch x86_64" \

OBJC="gcc -arch x86_64" \

F77="gfortran -arch x86_64" \

FC="gfortran -arch x86_64" \

--with-system-zlib \

--with-blas='-framework vecLib' --with-lapack

## make and install

$make

$make install

One clue might be helpful is that after running the configure, there is a
sentence said

“R is now configured for i386-apple-darwin9.6.0”

Not sure why it is configured for i386 though.

Besides, I also tried and ran the entire codes under copy/paste guide on the
same page http://r.research.att.com/building.html, but still got the same
result.

## The following is the sessionInfo() of R

> sessionInfo()

R version 2.8.1 (2008-12-22)

i386-apple-darwin9.6.0

locale: