Thanks for your reply Massimo.

At first I thought it did have something to do with long downloading
times. However, it mostly hangs when simply loading the package (when
it's already been downloaded), and stays like that all day if I leave
it alone. I wonder if it has anything to do with tcltk? I'm using
standard Leopard X11 and as far as I know the tcl/tk package that came
with R (although I don't really know what tcl/tk is and how I can
check which type I'm using).

On 21 May 2009, at 13:58, Massimo Pinto wrote:

> I was under the same impression when I first installed and started
> to use R for Mac. However, the system believes that R it's hung, but
> in reality it's not. You just have to be patient. Sometimes
> installation requires download of several tens of Mb of source/
> binary packages.
> Try with a tiny one from the command line, using biocLite(), for
> example. You should see R back to response soon.
> Massimo
>
> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Smiler80 <smile...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've recently installed R (version 2.9.0) on my Mac OS (Leopard).
> I'm using the Mac R.app application. Upon start up this works fine,
> however if I try to load several packages the application simply
> hangs (even after leaving it alone for an hour).
>
> Strangely, some applications work fine, others don't. Some examples
> of failures are: R commander, relimp, tcltk. Ultimately, I'm trying
> to get FactoMineR to work with R commander, but when trying to
> install the FactoMineR GUI, which I believe depends on R commander,
> it also hangs. (Note: loading the package FactoMineR itself works
> fine!)
>
> I've tried to load the packages via the Package Manager, and via the
> command library(rcmdr). I've also tried re-installing the packages,
> and re-installing R entirely. I keep having the same problem.
>
> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Cheers,
> Caroline

> --
> Massimo Pinto
> Post Doctoral Research Fellow
> Enrico Fermi Centre and Italian Public Health Research Institute
> (ISS), Rome
> http://claimid.com/massimopinto

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]