On 23/6/09 10:42 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:

On Jun 23, 2009, at 8:17 , Gad Abraham wrote:

Hi,

I've tried to use R.app Package Installer to install the BioConductor
package GOstats, with "install dependencies" checked, but R proceeded
to download many other packages before I killed it:

(this is the temporary downloaded_packages directory)
$ ls
AffymetrixDataTestFiles_0.1.1.tgz R.oo_1.4.8.tgz affxparser_1.16.0.tgz
makePlatformDesign_1.8.0.tgz
R.methodsS3_1.0.3.tgz R.utils_1.1.7.tgz hapmap100kxba_1.3.2.tgz
pd.mapping50k.xba240_0.4.1.tgz

These aren't in the Depends of GOstats,
http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/html/GOstats.html,
which lists:
Depends Biobase , Category , graph

If A depends on B then installing dependencies means that you also have
to satisfy all dependencies of B which could be C, D, E, F then their
dependencies and so on. The dependency tree in BioC can be quite big...
So R was doing what you told it to do.

Does "install dependencies" only install Depends or also Suggests?

The downstream Depends for GOstats are pretty minimal and don't include any of the packages I listed:

GOstats: Biobase , Category , graph
Biobase: R , methods , utils
Category: AnnotationDbi , Biobase
graph: R , methods
AnnotationDbi: R , methods , utils , Biobase

--
Gad Abraham
MEng Student, Dept. CSSE and NICTA