Fernando Fernandez wrote:

> first time I really have a question I can't solve....
> Departing from the hypothesis that if anything is doable it can be
> done with R....
>
> How can I do Parametric bootstrapping on a tree?
>
> That is I want to assume a phylogenetic tree as a good model,
> and then then shuffle leaves (with haplotypes of a different gene for example)
> to compare the randomised distribution to the a priori tree.
>
> (I cannot compare topographies of two trees because I have no good
> support for one of them,
> and I still presume this alternative is a good approach)

Some people answered questioning this as a good resampling
procedure.  Just to be the Voice Of Orthodoxy, let me add ...

Whatever its merits, it isn't the same as parametric
bootstrapping.  That involves simulating data along a tree,
not shuffling data among leaves.

J.F.
----
Joe Felsenstein         j...@gs.washington.edu