Hello Andy,

  As far as I know there is no support for the phyloXML format in R yet.
There might be better ways of doing it and I'd love to hear about them
but what I did was to use archeopteryx:
http://phylosoft.org/archaeopteryx/

and then go in File > Read tree from Tree of Life, enter the node
identifier and save the tree in the Nexus/Newick format so that you can
load it in R with ape or phylobase.

  Cheers,
  -- François