Nick,

Log-likelihoods are calculated as the logarithm of the product of the heights of the probability density function. Since the probability density function must integrate to 1.0, it can have a height that is much greater than 1.0 if all the probability density is concentrated on a small interval. (This is why rescaling eliminates this "problem" - it spreads the probability density out over a larger interval.) Thus, likelihoods greater than 1.0 (and log-likelihoods greater than zero) are not impossible and should not be a concern.

- Liam

--
Liam J. Revell
University of Massachusetts Boston