People, many thanks for keeping this list so functional. Sorry for the
slow reply, had a small accident, but is ok now. I'll answer Liam
first and Ted and Brian in sequence.

Liam, yes, the error is fatal, and the BrownieREML worked. But seems
it did not converged:

These are the results:

> brownieREML(tree,data[,"Area_Km2"],maxit=2000)$sig2.single
[1] 6.444619e+12

$logL1
[1] -135.4347

$sig2.multiple
           2
4.911978e+12

$logL2
[1] -135.6168

$convergence
[1] FALSE

Also tried the Ouwie option, but then I needed to generate a
simmap.tree. Tried with  make.simmap but the help tells me it only
works for discrete data, and my response variable is continuous. To be
more informative, I pasted below a very small graph of the uncorrected
relationship I want to analyze using phylogenetic methods.

Ted and Brian, thanks for you advice and references on number of species.
Im comparing nearly all known syntopic species of two sister clades with
different morphs. I know thats inappropriate for inferring adaptation and
for estimating several parameters from such a low number of species.
However, I expected to be able to reliably recover the differences between
the two groups and the degree to which phylogeny was explaining the
relationships.
However, for this case, as my data are highly heteroskedastic (see graph
below) and the differences between the treatments is related to the maximum
value that the response variable attains, do you think that adding a
outgroup and performing a Bartlets test over phylogenetic contrasts would
at least make a honest test of the relationship?

Agus
[image: Imágenes integradas 1]

<<Rplot02.png>>