From: Alejandro Gonzalez [alejandro.gonza...@ebd.csic.es]
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:38 AM
To: Theodore Garland Jr
Cc: Anne Kempel; r-sig-phylo@r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R-sig-phylo] trait correlations with PICs

Can I risk a question here, maybe a result of ignorance...

"With IC, it is easier to employ different sets of branch lengths
for different traits (e.g. Garland et al., 1992; Lovegrove, 2003;
Rezende et al., 2004), which may be particularly useful when
one trait does not actually show phylogenetic signal (e.g.
Tieleman et al., 2003; Rheindt et al., 2004) and/or for traits that
are only nuisance variables, such as details of measurement or
calculation methods that differ among studies (e.g. Wolf et al.,
1998; Perry and Garland, 2002; Rezende et al., 2004)."

>From an evolutionary point of view, what does it mean when using different
>sets of branch lengths for different traits? If we're testing co-evolution of
>traits, I would tend to think - and I may very well be wrong - that the
>interest would be in estimating a single rate describing this co-evolution and
>by employing different branch lengths would we not loose the opportunity to
>estimtate that rate?

Cheers
Alejandro