Dear Fabricia,

You can compute the mean distance between leaves in the tree. For each pair of leaves, the distance between them equals the number of edges that separate them. Unfortunately, I do not know any R function that performs the computations but you can write your own function.

Sincerely
M Blum
> Hi,

I am wondering whether anyone knows about any metrics for testing networks or
unrooted tree shapes.

I have tried the Colless test and the Beta index in the apTreeShape in R but
they appear to be not very informative for my data (although it is still a
result). And I also need to have a rooted tree.

That is why I’m wondering whether there is other measurements which I could
use, for example to test star-like trees.

Thanks!

Fabricia.

Michael BLUM
CNRS Research Associate