Hi all,

First of all, I am very much a newbie in phylogenetics, so the question I
will ask may be a bit naïve. Here it is:

 I want to correlate some phenotypic traits of several species of animals.
Let's say, body mass and brain size. To account for the non-independence of
the points, I must use PGLS. One way to do this is searching a lambda
parameter that maximises the likelihood of my tree under a Brownian Model
of evolution.

 I think I can understand the meaning of having a lambda value for one
phenotypic trait. And I think it makes sense because it gives you a rough
idea of what kind of evolution is going on. But, what is the purpose of
calculating a lambda for several traits at the same time? Does it make
sense at all? Is it just a mathematical trick with no biological meaning?

 Thanks in advance

Adri