Given the nature of precipitation data, I don't think a log transform makes
sense biologically.  It is very different from, say, body mass.
I think you need to simulate with limits, as described originally here:

Garland, T., Jr., A. W. Dickerman, C. M. Janis, and J. A. Jones. 1993.
Phylogenetic analysis of covariance by computer simulation. Systematic Biology
42:265-292.

Limits can be implemented with or without other things, such as OU and/or a
trend.

Our programs are in DOS (What's DOS?  The last operating system that worked
...).
However, I think you can also do this in R somewhere, maybe phytools?  Liam
Revell, want to jump in here?

Happy thanksgiving,
Ted

Theodore Garland, Jr., Professor
Department of Biology
University of California, Riverside
Riverside, CA 92521
Office Phone:  (951) 827-3524
Wet Lab Phone:  (951) 827-5724
Dry Lab Phone:  (951) 827-4026
Home Phone:  (951) 328-0820
Skype:  theodoregarland
Facsimile:  (951) 827-4286 = Dept. office (not confidential)
Email:  tgarl...@ucr.edu
http://www.biology.ucr.edu/people/faculty/Garland.html
http://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=iSSbrhwAAAAJ

Inquiry-based Middle School Lesson Plan:
"Born to Run: Artificial Selection Lab"
http://www.indiana.edu/~ensiweb/lessons/BornToRun.html

Fail Lab: Episode One
http://testtube.com/faillab/zoochosis-episode-one-evolution