Dear All,
I'm a new user of R in phylogenetics and population genetics. So, please, apologize me in advance if what I'm asking is a basic and banal question. Briefly, I used the function mst of the package APE to produce a minimun spanning tree startin from a distance matrix. I used the default argument graph ("nsca" or "cirle"), or I plotted the samples by using externally produced coordinates (i.e. PCA coordinates). In all the cases, I didn't manage to apply colours to a set of defined categories of samples. I tried by defining a categorical vector and using the argument col of the function plot, like in this example:

colour<-as.character(PCAcor[,3])
plot(MSTtre, x1 = PCAcor[,1], x2 = PCAcor[,2], col=colour)

Or I directly use the argument col of the function plot, like this (one among the various tempts):

plot(MSTtre, graph="nsca", col="blue", "black").

In any case, I didn't get back any error message, but the plot was always black and white.
May you suggest me the right approach?
Many thanks!
Regards,
Fabrizio