Hi Max,
I think you raise a great question and would be interested to hear others'
takes on it.  My thinking is it would be sound to calculate the vifs from the
same model run through glm.  This is because the vif is a transform of the R2
value from regressing each independent variable on all the other independent
variables.  As such, the dependent variable does not actually affect the vif
calculation.  PGLS techniques model the phylogenetic autocorrelation in the
residuals of the dependent variable, probably the vif from a glm with no
autocorrelation parameter is OK.  Certainly I would expect if you have
collinearity that is too high among your predictors for a normal glm then it is
too high for pgls.  I have seen this empirically once in my own work.

Here is a SAS conversation about that arrives at largely the same conclusion.
The conversation is about random effects models, but that is relevant since
many autocorrelation models can be reformulated as random effects models, and
the two have many statistical similarities:

https://communities.sas.com/message/170160

Now, I suppose there may be a different effect of collinearity on parameter
estimates in the context of autocorrelation, so perhaps there is some need for
a more sophisticated approach.  It doesn't appear to me, however, that such an
approach has been worked out mathematically.

Best
Luke

Luke J. Matthews | Senior Scientific Director | Activate Networks, Inc.

Message: 1