Dear all,

I am looking into the possibilities of ancestral character state reconstruction
in R. I would like to reconstruct discrete (ordered) characters using maximum
parsimony and maximum likelihood. I have found the 'ace' and 'MPR' functions
and ace appears to do what I want.

MPR is giving me issues, however, because of the requirement of specifying a
single outgroup. My input tree is already rooted, but the 'outgroup' is a clade
rather than a single terminal. Therefore, specifying a single outgroup terminal
is impractical.

Do you know if there is a workaround so that I can use MPR on a rooted tree
directly? Or do you know another function for ancestral character state
reconstruction under maximum parsimony?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Best wishes,

Robin van Velzen