Franz,

Yes, Mac has changed enough recently that installing the dependencies can be a
horrific hassle (specifically: the default use of clang instead of gcc).

A couple of options:

1. Install dependencies with homebrew <http://brew.sh/>.
2. Override the default use of clang, and instead use gcc.
3. If all else fails, and it is not too much trouble, use a virtual box, and
install/use treePL in some flavour of linux. This should work flawlessly.

HTH.
JWB.
Joseph W. Brown
Post-doctoral Researcher, Smith Laboratory
University of Michigan
Room 2071, Kraus Natural Sciences Building
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1079
josep...@umich.edu