Alberto Gallano asked:

> Would this also be the case in the situation where n is small enough (~ <15)
> to enumerate all possible unique permutations? I was under the impression
> that such an 'exact' test provided the true p-value without error.

In a case that small, one might be able to evaluate all permutations.
(There are 1.3 x 10^12 permutations, but maybe you need combinations,
which are fewer).

Yes, you would then have an exact P value.  But of course that is not
the same as an infinitely powerful test -- after all an ordinary
t-test gets you an exact P value when its assumptions are met.

J.F.
----
Joe Felsenstein         j...@gs.washington.edu