Hi Brian.

The issue isn't polytomies, per se, but phylogenetic uncertainty. Actually, arbitrarily resolving polytomies with branches of zero length will not affect your fitted regression model at all - so there is no point in resolving polytomies randomly many times or any such thing.

With regard to phylogenetic uncertainty, the principle concern is that variance on the estimated model coefficients will be too small (and thus hypothesis tests too liberal) when the tree is known with error. One solution that I have suggested before, and that I know will annoy some readers by inelegantly merging Bayesianism & frequentism, is to fit our regression model from a posterior sample of trees and then compute the variance on parameter estimates as the mean variance for each fitted model plus the variance among estimates across trees. Though a bit ugly, to be sure, this has the effect of taking into account estimation error & phylogenetic error. We can then proceed to use the total variance on parameter estimates to conduct hypothesis tests or construct confidence intervals about the parameters of our fitted model.

Reducing the number of degrees of freedom theoretically could achieve the same effect because it would decrease the denominator of our variance on parameter estimates - if we knew how by how much to reduce that number. Unfortunately, there is not (and cannot be) a general rule whereby we reduce the degrees of freedom by a set amount for each soft polytomy in the tree. This is because all soft polytomies are not equal. For instance, if a polytomy is present in our tree because there were a series of closely-spaced branching events in the true phylogenetic history, then the consensus tree is actually quite a good representation of this history and using the consensus tree will have little ill effect. Conversely, if a polytomy reflects substantive phylogenetic disagreement among alternative topologies in the posterior sample, and we have no way of knowing which is correct, then (presumably) a much greater reduction in the degrees of freedom would be required to account for this uncertainty.

I hope these comments are helpful.

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Assistant Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://blog.phytools.org