Hi Dr. Garland,

I got the impression that an ultrametric tree is needed for comparative
analysis from this book <http://www.springer.com/us/book/9783662435496>ch.
2 pg. 38: "most comparative analyses assume that the tree is ultrametric,
as the majority of analyses deal with evolution of phenotypic traits of
extant species with the underlying assumption is that the time available
for phenotypic evolution is the same for all taxa".

I understand that the methodology of PGLS can use any tree form, I suppose
there're different assumptions if I used an additive tree or an ultrametric
tree. Could you guide me to some references that explicitly discuss about
this?

Is it necessary to use an ultrametric tree If I want to estimate lambda in
the residual error of the gls and do a branch length transformation as Revell
2010
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.2041-210X.2010.00044.x/pdf>
suggested?

Many thanks!

Cheers,
Solomon Chak

*Solomon **Tin Chi **Chak*
Ph.D. Candidate
Tel: (804) 684-7484
Marine Biodiversity Laboratory
<http://www.vims.edu/research/units/labgroups/marine_biodiversity/index.php>
Virginia Institute of Marine Science <http://www.vims.edu/>
College of William and Mary <http://www.wm.edu/>
PO Box 1346 / Rt. 1208 Greate Rd., Gloucester Pt, VA 23062, USA