Just thinking out loud here, but maybe one could use a rate matrix that
doesn't allow gains of 1, and instead reroot the tree at various points
with a fixed root state of 1? The only semi tricky bit would be searching
for the optimal position of this 'root', which is where the single gain of
1 occurs...

I was about to hit send on this suggestion and then realized it ignores
that the rootward remainder below the artificial 'root' also has to be
constrained to be zero, which seems even trickier. Hrm.

-Dave

--
David W. Bapst, PhD
Adjunct Asst. Professor, Geology and Geol. Eng.

http://webpages.sdsmt.edu/~dbapst/
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/paleotree/index.html