That's a really cool question. I don't know. I'm pretty sure that
practically, the answer is no (esp when you consider all the issues -- any
feasible OU is too simple a model to match reality, tree errors, data
errors, etc. -- that also come into an analysis). However, I could imagine
that in a perfect world you could look at expected standard errors created
using parametric bootstrapping from the MLE of the parameters and see if
the actual standard errors are different -- maybe it could reflect
plasticity or some other factor. But I really don't know. You might look at
some of the methods that can deal with intraspecific and interspecific
processes to get at this sort of biological question (the Felsenstein 2008
Contrasts revisited paper might be interesting as a start, though it's not
OU and comes at this from a different direction), but it's fun to think
about ways to go from what is treated as annoying noise to a meaningful
signal.

Best,
Brian

Brian O'Meara, http://www.brianomeara.info, especially Calendar
<http://brianomeara.info/calendars/omeara/>, CV
<http://brianomeara.info/cv/>, and Feedback
<http://brianomeara.info/teaching/feedback/>

Associate Professor, Dept. of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, UT Knoxville
Associate Head, Dept. of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, UT Knoxville
Associate Director for Postdoctoral Activities, National Institute for
Mathematical & Biological Synthesis <http://www.nimbios.org> (NIMBioS)
Communication Director, Society of Systematic Biologists