Not sure if I understand the problem completely, but this should allow you to
examine all of the clades (and should work if polytomies are involved):

# for tree phy
rootID <- length(phy$tip.label) + 1;
for (i in rootID:max(phy$edge[,1])) {
  clade <- extract.clade(phy, i);
  # do something
}

This includes the root node (i.e. whole tree), but that can be changed. This
can be rewritten as an lapply if necessary.

HTH.
JWB
Joseph W. Brown
Post-doctoral Researcher, Smith Laboratory
University of Michigan
Room 2071, Kraus Natural Sciences Building
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1079
josep...@umich.edu