Hi Karla,

The original simple way to compare two clades, using phylogenetically
independent contrasts, is here.  Newer methods may have higher power, but
this method is straightforward.

Garland, Jr., T. 1992. Rate tests for phenotypic evolution using
phylogenetically independent contrasts. The American Naturalist 140:509–519.

Cheers,
Ted

Theodore Garland, Jr., Distinguished Professor

Department of Biology

University of California, Riverside

Riverside, CA 92521

Office Phone:  (951) 827-3524

Facsimile:  (951) 827-4286 (not confidential)

Email:  tgarl...@ucr.edu

http://www.biology.ucr.edu/people/faculty/Garland.html

http://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=iSSbrhwAAAAJ

Director, UCR Institute for the Development of
<http://idea.ucr.edu/>Educational
Applications <http://idea.ucr.edu/>

Editor in Chief, *Physiological and Biochemical Zoology
<http://www.press.uchicago.edu/ucp/journals/journal/pbz.html>*

Fail Lab: Episode One

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0msBWyTzU0