Dear Rafael.

I believe the standard errors are computed from (negative inverse of) the Hessian matrix - which is a matrix containing the second-order partial derivatives (or some numerical approximation of them) from the likelihood surface.

These values are measurements of the curvature of the likelihood surface. If the likelihood surface is highly curved (downwards, that is negatively) then this means that the ML solution is much more likely than other nearby possibilities, and the negative inverse of this value is a small quantity - indicating little variance (i.e., uncertainty) in the estimated parameter. Conversely, a large standard error (the square of which is the variance) indicates that the likelihood surface is very flat (that is, it has a very small negative curvature) around the ML solution.

In your particular case broadly overlapping CIs for the parameter estimates (which can be computed as theta+-1.96*SE) of theta probably mean that the 'adaptive peaks' of different regimes can't be distinguished one from the other; whereas a CI for alpha that included zero (for instance) might suggest that a BM model probably better fits the data.

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Associate Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
& Profesor Asociado, Programa de BiologĂ­a
Universidad del Rosario
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/