Dear Theo.

This can be done with the function rerootingMethod as described here http://blog.phytools.org/2013/04/estimating-ancestral-states-when.html, although it is *very* important to note that rerootingMethod is only valid if the fitted transition model is symmetric (e.g., "ER", "SYM", or any custom model in which i->j == j->i for all i & j). It can also be done with make.simmap for both symmetric & non-symmetric transition models. If you sample enough stochastic maps & then run summary on the set of maps the posterior probabilities will converge on the marginal ancestral states under the defaults for make.simmap, so long as a flat prior is used on internal nodes. This is also on my blog here: http://blog.phytools.org/2013/03/estimating-ancestral-states-when-tips.html.

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Associate Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
& Profesor Asociado, Programa de Biología
Universidad del Rosario
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/