Dear Laura.

The marginal ancestral states that you obtained under the "ER" model are
consistent with a very high backward/forward rate of transitions between
the two states. If the best-fitting model implies a very high
transitions rate between the two states, then we can say almost nothing
about the character condition for internal nodes (hence the "50:50"
results you see).

Sometimes the /cause/ of very high estimated transition rates in an M/k/
model can easily be pinpointed -- for example, a pair of sister taxa
separated by a short evolutionary distance but with different states. In
your case, however, I don't see it. Something I've seen on rare
occasions is a /likelihood surface/ for the M/k/ model that has a sharp
peak close to zero, but then monotonically increases towards infinite
(but with a much lower likelihood). Optimization can miss this first
peak and spuriously convergence on large values for the transition rate
/q/. One way to identify this problem would be by visualizing the
likelihood surface. This is pretty easy with /fitMk/ (as shown on my
blog here
<http://blog.phytools.org/2021/12/graphing-likelihood-surface-of-fitted-m.html>)

-- but if you'd like help, please send me your tree & data (or, even
better, a saved .RData workspace) and I will take a look at your problem.

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell
Professor of Biology, University of Massachusetts Boston
Web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
Book: Phylogenetic Comparative Methods in R
<https://press.princeton.edu/books/phylogenetic-comparative-methods-in-r>
(/Princeton University Press/, 2022)