On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Jack Firth <jackhfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's conceivable that the package info lookup API with the catalog
>> could include "I want version X", but because new versions are defined
>> to be backwards compatible, as long as the server has some version
>> that's after X, then there is no reason to know what any old version
>> has, since any client should be happy with any release >X.
>

> There will be packages that aren't backwards compatible however. A simple
> bug fix could break a workaround in another package, and a rearranging of
> the internals of the package's collections could break packages depending on
> the private implementation of the collections. One person's non-breaking
> change may be another person's breaking change. This is going to happen,
> there's no way to completely prevent it. What do we do when that happens? It
> seems problematic to me if there's no easy way for package clients to lock
> themselves into a particular version and rely on the package catalog to
> guarantee they won't get anything else.

Package catalogs do not generally store any code, merely references to
other people's code. There's no way they can guarantee that old
tar-balls are still around. You can easily lock yourself in to a
specific version by using the `raco pkg catalog-copy/catalog-archive`
commands and distributing/saving the resulting catalog.

Jay

--
Jay McCarthy
http://jeapostrophe.github.io

           "Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing,
      for ye are laying the foundation of a great work.
And out of small things proceedeth that which is great."
                          - D&C 64:33