Oh then maybe I'm misunderstanding "deprecated".

I was thinking of it from the narrow/selfish point of view of a (new
system) package developer. In that system, deprecated can't mean "will
be removed soon", because you can't ever remove things from a package.
(Packages are supposed to be backward compatible, even with a new
major version number. If you want to remove stuff, you're supposed to
make another package. (I'm not trying to re-open that discussion, now,
just follow the status quo.))

So I was thinking of it as purely advice/admonition: "Starting with
version N, you ought to use Shiny instead of Finicky." However,
Finicky will remain forever in that package per se.

I don't know whether that's "deprecated" or not, but it's a thing.

I'm curious to know the answer to Alexis' question: Semantics aside,
how do I simply make something with a standard warning appearance?  In
many cases that's probably sufficient.  I went looking for examples of
this in the docs, so I could go look for its Scribble. But I couldn't
find any. Alexis do you have a link to an example?