So about 30-40 total cores for that second category? About how much total
RAM is needed? I'm assuming Gitlab owns all persisted data so there's not
much need for these machines to have non-transient disk storage. How much
importance does resource density play, in terms of ideal
cores-and-RAM-per-machine? Can you run the CI tasks effectively across
several (>=8 nodes) small machines (<=4 cores, 4GB RAM) instead of a few
big ones? How bursty is the CI workload, and would the machines spend a lot
of time sitting idle?

It might be feasible for me to donate a Kubernetes cluster to the cause
(but I make no promises).