On 6/27/2021 2:55 PM, Paul A. Steckler wrote:
On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 10:16 AM 'John Clements' via Racket Developers
<racket-dev@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> So here’s my question: if we upgrade to debian 9 or even (gasp) 10, would the
resulting binaries run on earlier versions of Linux?

Do the binaries use dynamic libraries? Those libraries differ among
Debian versions.

Other than that, I'd suppose the Debian version is immaterial.

(I'm working on a project that is sensitive to the Debian version,
because of such library issues.)

-- Paul

Most problems come from build chain (compiler) libraries: e.g., libc, glib, etc.  OS libraries also occasionally cause problems, but it's much less likely than with build libraries.

George