At Mon, 11 May 2015 00:30:05 +0200, Jens Axel Søgaard wrote:

> > If you're on OS X, try creating the bitmap with
> >
> >  (send canvas make-bitmap screen-width screen-height)
> >
> > instead of
> >
> >  (make-object bitmap% screen-width screen-height)
> >
> > Roughly, using the `make-bitmap` method creates a bitmap that's on the
> > graphics card instead of main memory.
>

> Two thoughts:
>   - will make-screen-bitmap work too?

No, only the `make-bitmap` method.

See also
 http://docs.racket-lang.org/draw/overview.html#%28part._.Portability%29

>   - If I insert images in the teaching languages,
>     do they become screen-bitmaps automatically?

No, I don't think so.

It's possible that it would make sense for `freeze` to use
`make-bitmap`-method bitmaps. The `pict->pre-render-pict` function is
similar to `freeze`, except that it's for picts in Slideshow, and it
does use the `make-bitmap` method of Slideshow's canvas. (As you might
guess, Slideshow was the original motivation for the feature.) I'm not
certain that using a `make-bitmap` method would make as much sense even
for `freeze`, since those images are less tied to a specific
destination.